Monday 30 March 2009

Illustration Friday: Poise

Following on from my last post, I decided I would like to enter Illustration Friday this week using a more children-friendly image. This is a new character called Georgie and I created him specifically to test out some illustration techniques, so although he's not the most original character, we may see more of him. This image took about an hour to draw and colour in so it's rather a swift piece, but as I'm slowly discovering, sometimes perfection is imperfection and the natural linework adds to the drawing's accessibility. Let me know what you think anyway.
Incidentally - has anyone here ever used acrylic paint? I used to use watercolour a lot, but I want to do some drawings and colour them in with nice solid colours. Is acrylic good for this? I never learnt how to paint things without you being able to see all the unsightly brushmarks at the end. I've tried guash in the past but with my lack of skill, the results were...messy!

17 comments:

mango red illustrations said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

Nicely done. I look forward to seeing more of this little boy.

Nicola said...

I think he's lovely!!! I started using mostly acrylic paints and I loved them because they are so bright and it's always nice to see the brush strokes. It's sometimes hard to see the pencil markings underneath and keep track of where you are painting though. I've also bought some acrylic inks lately and have been experimenting with them. They are great as they are much brighter than the water colour but not as heavy as acrylic paints.......

MrBibleHead said...

Another fine work mister Rowland! I think you've got this kid-friendly thing down pat. Very endearing illustration.

valerie walsh said...

i love it!

Caroline said...

Delightful illustration, Jim! I sometimes use inks and also Inktense pencils - they're fun to try!

Nicole said...

This is a fun piece! I love the child's face!

Lifer said...

well, hello Georgie. what you got there? a froggy? :)

nice one, Jim! looking forward to more

i also wonder about acrylics. i have some, but never actually tried using them. do i need a special kind of brush?

Annette Q said...

What a lovely little character and his expression is just the sweetest. If you want solid, bright colours, acrylics will definetly do the trick! I use them alot and like the results it gives me :-)

kathy hare said...

he is a lovely character!

Pea said...

very adorable!

Ester Salguero said...

is a nice boy and illustration, grags are lovelys ^_^

acrylic is a good way for solid colours and also for watecolour effect with it, adding more or less water to the acrylic you can change his opacity

Kris-Tea said...

Wow!... so adorable! I love this illo James :)

AtelierBrigitte said...

Great illo!
Can't help you with your questions about acrylics, I'm still with the watercolors.
But I would love to see your works in solid colors.

yoon see said...

Super adorable friendly avant-garde character.
You really have the idea & creativity.
Just explode further OK brother Jim!

mango red illustrations said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayleigh Thomas Illustrations said...

This one is my favorite. he is soooo cute. You should do more of him.